Friday, March 28, 2008

Marco Polo Ramada- DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Marco Polo Ramada "Resort," North Miami Beach, FL


How this place can even covet the word "resort" I have NO idea.
Like so many other reviewers, I gave the place the benefit of the doubt even after reading other not so glamorous reviews. DO NOT. Believe these reviews and stay ANYWHERE ELSE. Pitch a tent on the beach if you have to!

Upon entering this place, it reeks of mildew...I tried to overlook it.
We were checked in fairly easily and although nobody mentioned it, I think I was upgraded to an accessible room....but in the end it didn't matter.
The bellman was helpful to bring our bags up, even though we believe he was high on something, he was nice enough and it didn't affect his work ethic.
When we got up to our floor the overwhelming odor changed to that of Febreeze as though they were trying to cover up the other stench (I'm sure they were)

The room itself was not bad. The bathroom however had cracked tiles, a broken lock and mildew in the caulking. I only took one shower while I was there and I contemplated wearing shoes.... a la college dorm life. The water pressure was pitiful and I could've taken a better shower in the downpour we got during our stay.

The beds were ok, but not anything outstanding and as soon as we woke up we scrambled to get ready to just be OUT of the hotel.
We saved time in our morning for the "complimentary breakfast," which tuned out to be absolutely shameful. And of course nobody told us you were welcome to order off of the actual breakfast menu, although frankly I'd be afraid of what that would bring.
There was mediocre fruit, stale bread, bagels, and danishes, and ONE working toaster for the entire place. Every single chair had disgusting stains and/or sand on them. One lady was even sitting on her newspaper. The coffee was ok, but to get a to-go cup it was $2...so much for "complimentary."
Bottom line: Eating breakfast should not make you feel as though you need a shower

We left breakfast and went out to the beach where we had to SIGN OUT measly thin towels (which we later discovered we got charged $8 for)
Eventually clouds rolled in and we went back upstairs to find a decent place to get some real food and just get out of the place. When we got upstairs our housekeeper was still in our room. After an attempted dialogue with her that was completely lost in translation we went back outside for a little while, to give her more time, thinking it would make a difference.
However- when we got back upstairs it was a wonder what she even did!
To our eye all it appeared was that she made the beds (poorly)
Coffee was left in the pot and in one of the mugs we used, while the others were rinsed out and left to dry on a PILLOW CASE(?) She did not empty any of our trash cans or replace anything in the room.
Luckily after some research and a big sigh, we discovered this place is in a decent location and it was like a $10 to the Aventura Mall which has great food options and shopping! We had escaped for the day.
Thank God!

We called that night for a new packet of coffee for the next morning....and it never came. The only request we made the entire time....

When we checked out the next day (as early as humanly possible so we could bathe properly and have a decent meal)
I noticed the "resort" fee (for the cheesecloth towels is all we can figure) and was handed a CHEWED ON pen to sign my bill with. At this point I didn't even care to complain I just wanted out.

You could stay at an Econolodge and get more for your money. Besides the beach and pool, which looked decently maintained, this place has NOTHING going for it. I really could go on, but you get the point.

I plan on writing a letter to the Ramada company, as this place is a disgrace to the name. I am staying in one in Wisconsin for my next business trip, and I was looking forward to it, but to be perfectly honest.... now I'm afraid.


Overall score: ** (2 out of 5 stars....)
Why? For the beach. I only wish it had been sunny so we could've enjoyed that! :(

No comments: